Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Logical Fallicies





Blind Loyalty (also Blind Obedience, the "Team Player" appeal, or the Nuremberg Defense). The dangerous fallacy that an argument or action is right simply and solely because a respected leader or source (an expert, parents, one's own "side," team or country, one’s boss or commanding officers) say it is right. This is over-reliance on authority, a corrupted argument from ethos that puts loyalty above truth or above one's own reason and conscience. In this case, a person attempts to justify incorrect, stupid or criminal behavior by whining "That's what I was told to do," or “I was just following orders."  
                Who doesnt respect Kobe Bryant? A proffessional athelete who has won countless championchip rings, and makes more money than the President of the United States, this man demands respect and oozes cool. However, the idea that one could achieve this greatness by buying a pair of shoes doesnt quite add up.According to Kobe by buying these shoes I will win awards and rings, people will laugh at my jokes, and I wont need help from anyone....uhhhh I dont think anyone will ever laugh at my jokes, even if I'm wearing these black and yellow sneaks. This would definetly be considered a case of blind loyalty. In this day and age, when it feels like everyone is trying to sell us a magic cure to obesity or the secert recipe to eternal cool, its more important than ever for us to use our brains and common sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment