Wednesday, June 6, 2012

making exercise fun

         Eeeekkk! Did you know only 18% of Americans get the recommended amount of daily physical activity? It's recommended that we get a minimum of 150 minutes a week of moderate physical activity, or 75 minutes of vigorous physical activity, along with two muscle strengthening sessions a week. I don't know about the rest of you, but I am not a gym girl. Between the sweaty men and  the unescapable room stink there's pretty much nothing about the gym that appeals to me. I always end up feeling like I'm in a competition with the person on the treadmill next to me. All of the unnecessary grunting makes me uncomfortable, and I dread that moment when you look up and some unwelcome stranger is watching you get pumped while listening to "play that funky music white boy,"awkward. Plus, at the end of a long day the last thing I want to do is get dolled up to go to the gym. What's a girl to do? Instead of having exercise be a chore we have to make it fun! I can hear the scoffs, but I promise it can be done! My top seven favorite fun ways to exercise are swimming, walking, rock climbing, rollerblading, dancing, biking, and boxing. I'm still waiting to try yoga. For those of you who have never taken a boxing class your missing out! Think of it as a chance to punch every person that has ever pissed you off, broken your heart, or taken your parking spot in the face with no negative repercussions. You have the potential to burn thousands of calories, and release all of your pint up stress. If boxing is a bit too intense, go the opposite route. Try walking outside in a beautiful scenic neighborhood or along the shore if you live near the beach. Walking serves as exercise and therapy in one. When you finally get the chance to put down the phone, step away from your computer, and indulge in a little me time you will be amazed at how much better you feel. Not only is exercise a mental release; the physical benefits are endless! You can increase you ability to  defend against infections, lower your risk for heart disease, colon cancer, diabetes, and high blood pressure. Now for those of you who need a little musical inspiration to get yourself up off the couch, heres a couple songs that I know will pump you up!

Arctic Monkeys:
Brainstorm http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30w8DyEJ__0
Teddy Picker http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2A2XBoxtcUA
(p.s. to open highlight, double click, and click open URL)
Now get moving!



1 comment:

  1. I really love the rock climbing picture. the edge is a local rock climbing gym. It is so awesome.

    ReplyDelete